There is definitely a minimum recommended internet speed for streaming video using a streaming device. The device can be your phone, a fire stick or Android media box. The last thing you want is a media device which is slow in terms of hardware and software running in your device.
Of course Internet speed is essential to streaming quality and if you have slow internet speeds, it will not matter what device you have. Slow Internet speeds will not enable the greatest viewing pleasure, while buffering and streams not loading will be frustrating.
We are definitely not talking Miles Per Hour (MPH) here. What we are talking about is Megabytes or (MB) for short. It is how many MB’s per second you are able to download is the measure and determining factor in the quality of feed you can view.
For streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Videos and HULU you will want a minimum:
- 1-2 Mb/s for viewing on a laptop computer. While you can stream Netflix at speeds of 1 Mb/s, the quality will be grainy on a large screen, much like watching an old VHS movie
- 2 Mb/s for viewing standard definition video (480p) on a TV
- 4 Mb/s for viewing high-def video (720p, 1080p)
- 5 Mb/s or more for the best audio and video experience
- 15 Mb/s for 4K streaming (but 25mb/s is preferred). Also recommended is a 4K Ultra TV with an HEVC decoder
In General these are only guidelines, due to congestion of servers which are hosting your TV show or movie, and now adays, most internet providers are above that. The problem arises when using services that a point to point (this will be discussed in another article).
So, how fast is my internet?
There are many places online to test your internet, I personally prefer www.speedtest.net This website is easy to use and will show you how fast your internet is at the time the test is ran. However, be aware that these tests might not be accurate if there are other factors contributing to a slow network.
The SkyStream One and Two have a built in speed test using the speedtest.net application. If it is missing, it is easily downloaded in the Google Play Store. Besides testing internet speed, your device must be capable of rendering streams. We will discuss that in another article.